Subscriber Services Weather

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Dog-Wash Beneficiary Says Thanks

Sunday's dog/car wash in Davie raised nearly $4,000 for George Stein, who works at Extra Care Animal Hospital. He's battling lung cancer and has no insurance.

Here's an e-mail he sent out to his co-workers after the event:

Well, I have to tell you when I went into the hospital the first time in September and stayed eight days because they could not figure out excactly what was wrong. I woke up the next morning and said, 'I better call and let family and friends (at the animal hospital) know where I am.' Then I realized I had already done both, just by calling the office. It was at this point I realized that everybody I work with and have met fits the profile of friends and family.

After my secound stay, it was apparent this was the case, and that I would never have to worry about being alone or how I was going to take care of myself and get meds and medical care with no insurance and no income. BUT I have to tell you, after what I saw and felt Sunday at the hospital, seeing all my friends and family working together, there was an emotional feeling that I have not had in a long time.


Crazy for Critters wishes George a complete recovery and many long years of a pet-filled life.