Subscriber Services Weather

Friday, September 08, 2006

The French Have a Word For It....

Cheval. Horsemeat. In France and elsewhere, it's a delicacy. In any language, that's disgusting, far as I'm concerned.

Yesterday, 236 members of the U.S. House of Representatives agreed, and did something about horse slaughter for human consumption. They banned it. The Senate is set to vote on the bill and is expected to pass it. The cause had drawn celebrity support from, among others, horse-lovers Willie Nelson and Bo Derek.

While I'm sorry that workers in three U.S. slaughterhouses will lose their jobs, I'm heartened that a sense of humanity prevailed for these magnificent beasts.

Click here to read a story about it from Fort Worth, in the heart of horse country.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Ewanco said...

I fail to see why humanely killing a horse for meat is any different from humanely killing a cow or pig for meat. You may be disgusted by the concept by your cultural conditioning but does that make it objectively wrong? One can argue endlessly about the cultural and health and emotional and economic merits of banning horsemeat (which by the way I find disgusting too), but the fact remains that there is no objective reason to do so unless you also ban all other meats (at least mammal meats) and all other forms of slaughtering horses (for glue, for example, or for dog consumption). If they really are too magnificent for humans to eat, they are too magnificient for dogs to eat or to be made into glue.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Mila said...

While I wouldn't eat horsemeat, nor my cats and dog, I do eat beef, chicken, fish, pork, etc. Calling animals pets and taboo these pets from human consumption varies from culture to culture> As long as the living conditions and death for these animals is humane, I do not see a problem with this. I took horseback riding and groomed horses and bonded with them...I wouldn't eat one.
Zoos give their carnivores horsemeat as it is not filled with hormones and antibiotics and the meat is leaner

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home