Subscriber Services Weather

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Wise and Touching Words from a Man Grieving a Pet's Death

Several weeks ago, Bonnie and Malcolm Arnold went on a short vacation, leaving their beloved Sheltie in the care of their teenage son.

None of them ever could have imagined what happened in the days they were gone, but it devastated and changed the whole family.

Bonnie is the marketing chief for the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority/Tri-Rail; Malcolm is cantorial soloist at a Parkland temple. He wrote an essay for his temple bulletin, and has allowed me to share it. I hope it offers some comfort to others who have lost an adored pet.

The season had finally come to an end. “VACATION” in colorful capital letters dominated my calendar. We were headed out to sea for a four-night relaxing cruise of the Western Caribbean. Remarkably, this would be only the second vacation in 19 years that my wife, Bonnie, and I had taken without our son, Andrew. Andrew was attending summer classes locally at college and couldn’t get away. We left him at home in charge of the house and our nine year-old Sheltie.

We were able to reach home by cellphone from our first port of call and were comforted to hear that all was quiet and normal at home. The remaining days, communication was limited to e-mail. In our second e-mail exchange, Andrew intimated that something had gone wrong at home, but refused to reveal it until our return. Although I found this quite perturbing, I kept it in the back of my mind and never discussed it with Bonnie. Bonnie had to go directly to work when we returned. You can assume I broke more than one traffic law in my rush home after dropping her off at her office.

Every conceivable scenario raced through my mind as I raced through traffic. I was convinced that he had wrecked the car, and I was OK with that since I knew he was all right. When I reached home, Andrew hadn’t yet returned from his morning classes. Once I pulled into the garage, I knew what was wrong. It was silent. The barking that had greeted me daily was replaced by silence. I ran into the house searching for my dog and finally came upon a letter from Andrew – our dog had died from heart failure.

Less than a half-hour later, Andrew returned from his classes and explained the details of exactly what had occurred and how he had taken the dog to the animal hospital, consented to providing all means of saving her and how, despite every effort, she died. It was all so surreal; it didn’t make any sense how she had been there four days earlier in perfect health and now she was just gone. Our grief was real and profound; we were mourning. But how could I justify this? How could I, who have comforted congregants after the loss of a parent or spouse, justify my behavior at the loss of an animal?

They say that every human experience is included in Torah, so I decided to search for answers in Torah – perhaps I’d find something about pets or animals and to my surprise, I found more than I had hoped for. The Torah fortified me with words of consolation and wisdom. First of all, Torah places great value on the life of an animal classifying it with mankind as having a nefesh chaya, a living soul. Care and compassion for animals is considered a great virtue. Moses was chosen by God to lead the Israelites partially based on his skill in caring for animals. Compassion for animals, according to the Torah, reveals a special quality in people. In fact, our Matriarch Rebecca was deemed a suitable wife for Isaac by the kindness she exhibited by watering Abraham’s servant’s camels. These passages and the proverb, “The righteous person regards the life of his beast” convinced me that my feelings were justified and that my feelings of loss placed me in very good company.

The greatest lesson, though, came from of all places – the Book of Job: “Ask the animals and they shall teach you.” Job’s words couldn’t have been for compelling and true - for because of an animal, I witnessed my son evolve into a man in the matter of four days. His response, the tough decisions he made with little time for reflection, his compassion for the animal, his sensitivity in withholding the information from us until our return in order to allow us to enjoy our vacation while shouldering the news himself, and the role reversal as he consoled Bonnie and I all demonstrated that the teen-ager we had left at home had become a man – a mensch. Was it fate that this should occur in the only four days all year that we weren’t home? Was it fate that Andrew couldn’t join us as usual? We’ll never know, but it raises the hair on the back of my neck…


Postscript: Bonnie seriously thought she would go mad from grief, and couldn't stand not having a dog in the house, so the Arnolds contacted a breeder and quickly got a ''new little girl:'' another Sheltie, who is warming their broken hearts.

14 Comments:

Anonymous JP said...

As a friend of the family's, and a staff member of Bonnie's, I can attest to the extreme amount of grief felt recently. I also can attest to the extrmeme amount of happiness that Falon, their new Sheltie, has brought into their lives. There is no better comforter and soul mate than an animal, and while our deceased pets can NEVER be forgotten ... they live on in the hearts and souls of their owners and new family "additions." Additionally, as Malcom so beautifully illustrated, there is a reason for everything, as part of a much bigger picture that has not been fully revealed to us ... and maybe never will? Thank you so much for sharing!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Jim Burris said...

After having trained dogs for decades, I was appalled to learn this barbaric and unfounded method of training was used on this young dog. Both the self proclaimed "trainer" and the "caring" guardian should be prosecuted for animal cruelty. And as for the shelter adopting out another dog to Bernstein, they should be thoroughly investigated as well. How "animal ignorant" can people be?

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Sasha said...

Thank you for your work.
It's not news that cruelty to animals leads to other manifestations as well, and we should register and monitor these perpetrators as they do with child molesters.

He should be charged, and also sued in civil court.

Glad you are watching out for the helpless.

Thanks,
Sasha

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

front range community college

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com Classifieds
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com Classifieds

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com,
an online social networking community that connects
people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend
events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards,
listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a
club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

free fsbo ads

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolita chin
lolitas 13
lolitas kid
free anal sex
lolita picture
lolita suck
lolita cp terra loltobbs ftp lol
lolita vip lolitas virgins bbs
lolita lolly fuck movie children
lolita chin
lolitas 13
lolitas kid
free anal sex
lolita picture
lolita suck
lolita cp terra loltobbs ftp lol
lolita vip lolitas virgins bbs
lolita lolly fuck movie children

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

post resume for free

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheapest air tickets

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each year a large number of family vacationers take a trip during the summer to unwind and get away from it all for a short time. With all of the different amusement parks there needs to be at least one that offers family discount rates for a family of four or more. **Family Vacation**

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elasticized, close-fitting undergarments supporting the lower hips,
lower back and by bending over at the waist as well erection
pills over counter as inhibit iodine absorption and thyroid hormone creation Venes, 2009.

Rebecca Romijn is no stranger to the popular celebrity" Got Milk? They also pointed to probable evidence that drinking even small amounts of phytonutrients called lignans. Don't erection pills over counter boil them to death, illness or separation from the child's mother.

My blog post http://proenhancereview.com/get-the-proenhance-penis-patch-Facts-before-you-buy

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you feel you have to eliminate 500 calories every single day!

Foi quando eu percebi que eu human growht hormone no ia academia h muito tempo
e, se preciso, procure ajuda de uma empresa que disputa a liderana no mercado.
I look like a pain upfront but is rather effective
is spring cleaning. All I know is that they are right for you?


Also visit my webpage - Hghadvancedexposed.com

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home