Subscriber Services Weather

Monday, July 24, 2006

Ringo Controversy Rages

Note to anyone not reading the comments on this: Please do. Click on "comments," read, and weigh in if you're so inclined. This blog template, unfortunately, doesn't allow for comments to appear on the site; you have to click to get to them. There's some possibility that will change in the near future, but I'm not counting on it.

One of the best points was made by Zoe, who agreed with me that there are usually two (or more) sides to every story, but the only "side" that really counts is Ringo's: He died a horrible death. That's not in dispute, it's irrevocable, and everyone involved should be called to account for it.

Another excellent point made is that trainers aren't licensed, and they should be. I agree, given the potential damage that can be done to animals and their human families by an incompetent trainer.

And while I've always scoffed at the notion that bad things become less bad if something positive comes of them - dead is dead, after all - it WOULD be a positive thing if serious consideration is given to licensing because Ringo's death has brought awareness of the problem. I know several top-notch, respected trainers and I don't think they'd object to this (I could be wrong; I'll check with them today to find out).